Modified Counter with Geigerbot

Support forum for the mightyohm.com Geiger Counter.
http://mightyohm.com/geiger
geigerguate

Modified Counter with Geigerbot

Post by geigerguate »

Just wanted to add some pics of the counter with output for Geigerbot/IOS interface. Using some very small components I was able to assemble the audio circuit and seal it up with shrink wrap before soldering it to the board. Others designs that I've seen show a pin adapter that hangs off the board in order to connect to the IOS input. These not only looked too bulky for my taste, but also presented a durability issue when taking the counter "on the road" so to speak. In my case I removed the three pins and soldered the leads from the circuit directly to the board itself. As you can see in the photos I chose to use the headphone jack from an old digital camera. I highly suggest using this as the leads on this cable are much more substantial than those on regular headphone jacks which are kind of a nightmare to solder due to their size. Soldering these leads was so much easier than others I had experimented with. This cable has a kind of rigid ribbon design so I simply melted and shaped a slot on the case that fit perfectly. Using my Ipod with GiegerBot settings suggested by the main GeigerBot forum post I was able to get pretty decent readings off of an old Radium dial clock. It will still need some calibration I'm sure but as you can see the unit with the Ipod on top of it is pretty darn portable!
Cheers!
Attachments
DSC_0111.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg
DSC_0113.jpg
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Modified Counter with Geigerbot

Post by mightyohm »

Nice work! :D