Using multiple radios for a distributed audio system

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
ciphyre

Using multiple radios for a distributed audio system

Post by ciphyre »

I have been following this project since finding it a few months back. I was doing research on an inexpensive alternative to an audio distribution system, since the analog versions are quite pricey and the commercial streaming systems that do exist are equally as expensive and not very configurable. I was pleasantly surprised when I found this project. What I plan to do is build a few of these radios which will be the client side of the system and then use some open source streaming audio server to act as the "radio station". Using PC speakers that have some sort of remote volume control each radio/speaker pair will be setup in different rooms so that I can stream the same audio to multiple locations. Eventually I will add the external control and LCD so I can have multiple music streams and provide channel selection in each room, but for now I just need the same audio feed in 6 rooms.

I do have a few questions though, what is a good Linux based streaming audio/multimedia server that I can use for this configuration? I saw a post regarding icecast however I have found quite a few other options so I am not sure which way to go. I want as much of this configuration to be administered via a web interface, so that is something I need to keep in mind also.

Any recommendations and comments on my plan are appreciated.

Thanks!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Using multiple radios for a distributed audio system

Post by mightyohm »

Sounds like a cool project and I think icecast is the way to go - but having absolutely zero experience with it I will let others speak up instead. :D