Air light NOT coming on

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Macgos

Re: Air light NOT coming on

Post by Macgos »

well it worked...now its not :(
Macgos

Post by Macgos »

This is pretty weird...I changed the code back so the IP was 192.168.1.1 then tried to connect wirelessly via ssh using 192.168.1.66...and it worked.... this is the code

Code: Select all

#### LAN configuration
config interface lan
        #option type    bridge
        option ifname   "eth0.0"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0
i have disconnect the apple tv...maybe that's why it is working??....hope when I reconnect apple tv it will choose another Ip addy??
Macgos

Post by Macgos »

i pulled the power cable out from the back of the Asus...plugged it back in...waited a bit......now putty wont connect....same connection error....

edit...it takes about 5 mins for it to start working again.... :P
Last edited by Macgos on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

You don't need to use the same IP address for the wireless and LAN interface, in fact this may cause problems.

Note how in my example config files here:
http://www.mightyohm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=340

I have a section in /etc/config/network that looks like this:

Code: Select all

#### WAN configuration
config interface   wan
   option ifname   "eth0.1"
   option proto   dhcp
This sets my router to DHCP so it gets an IP address automatically from my home network. If you set the router to a static IP address and your home network isn't configured properly, this can lead to problems.

Using DHCP also eliminates the need to specify a DNS server for the WAN.
Macgos

Post by Macgos »

good stuff...ok will try that too soon...thanks a lot Jeff..I REALLY appreciate it ;)
Macgos

Post by Macgos »

hey thanks Jeff - finally got to the end of setting up the router - thanks for you help. On the home stretch now...tried to install ario and gtk +, but coming up with lots of missing ddl errors after install.

is there another program I can use instead of ario?
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

I'm not at all familiar with ario. (I don't even know what it is!)
Macgos

Post by Macgos »

sorry - its a music player client....I have found something else instead.

Well, it looks like mpd is working on the router. i can see it working via putty...just can't hear anything thru the usb audio adapter when plugged into some speakers :( not sure why....

Thanks very much for your time today....I really appreciate it ;)
Macgos

Post by Macgos »

Question: when I type mpc add http://my station....etc should the playlist remain in the router? If I turn the router off, it seems to disappear. How do I "write" it in so it remains in the memory?

Second question: Can I stream my own music from my hard drive as well...a few posts here seem to suggest you can...but I am a little unclear on the last word on it....

Still waiting for a new USB sound adapter to turn up. Just getting the high pitched squeals at the mo - presuming my current usb adapter has the wrong chipset...

I have learned so much from your tutorial Jeff, I may even step out and give your full version a go - once I get this simple version up and running. Nice to learn new skills. ;)
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

The playlist isn't normally saved. If you search here you can find some solutions to your problem. They consist of either editing the mpd configuration to enable save state (I'm not sure if this saves the playlist or just the currently playing track) or creating a start script that loads the playlist every time the router boots.

You can stream music from your HD via various methods. I'm not sure what the best setup is, the only way I have done it is to set up a shoutcast server on my PC and connect the radio to it just like any other streaming radio station. To do this I have used Nicecast on the Mac and icecast on PC. Setting up icecast was not trivial.