arrrggghhhh- it's not dead but...

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
tekspeek

arrrggghhhh- it's not dead but...

Post by tekspeek »

Help!
After setting the Wifi Radio aside for a couple weeks waiting for part to come in I fired it up. It looked good but was not connecting to my network. 'Air' light was on but it would not connect to any radio stations. Long story short, I changed a setting, restarted the 520 (/etc/init.d/network restart), the telnet session stopped and that was it, sort of.

I could not log back into the 520. The IP address assigned (192.168.1.198) timed out. Other connections are refused by my wireless router.

This is where I am now. I have an ethernet cable connected to the LAN port on the 520. When I turn on the 520 it connects to the network, gets a IP address from my wireless router and acts as my wireless adapter - a little slow but I can connect to the network through the 520. I actually have two wireless networks running at the same time - I disconnect my regular connection and the 520 works just fine.

The IP address of the 520 shows up when I run ipconfig but I cannot telnet or ftp or http into that port to regain access. If I boot the 520 without the ethernet connection the 520 does nothing - until I plug my ethernet cable in, then it is my internet connection.

If you are still with me, the thing I think I changed when this all happened was changing the network from LAN to WLAN. Everything else was good.

Any suggestions about breaking into my 520?

Thanks...
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: arrrggghhhh- it's not dead but...

Post by mightyohm »

Connect ethernet to LAN port and telnet (or ssh if you have a password set) to 192.168.1.1.

Also, if you don't have a display connected and the serial console disabled, you can log in via a serial cable.
gerben

Post by gerben »

If all else fails you could just reflash the firmware. Openwrt doesn't have a reset-button like dd-wrt does, since it doesn't use the nvram (as far as I know).

Edit
Seems that openWRT has a failsafe mode, which doesn't mount the JFFS2, so leaves a fresh openwrt. More info at http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/wl520gu#failsafe.mode
Last edited by gerben on Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tekspeek

Post by tekspeek »

Thanks for the help - it's alive again (sort of)

I tried to ssh into the radio 192.168.1.1 like you suggested Jeff - did not work. I also could not ssh into the ip address that I had assigned originally 192.168.1.198. That's where I was.

Your suggestion gave me hope and what I finally did was open a cmd window (win 7) and issued the commands
ipconfig/release then
ipconfig/renew

My assigned ip address 192.168.1.198 showed back up as the default gateway and I was able to ssh into the radio. Before I had released and renewed the ip address this unit did not show up.

I still can't log into the radio over the wireless even though my air light is on...more time to work on it tomorrow.

Thanks again.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Make sure you connect to a LAN port, and not the WAN port...

Also make sure your network config matches the one I posted as a sticky on this forum... or is similar.

Configure your PC to use a fixed IP address (not DHCP) and set the gateway to 192.168.1.1. It should work.