What can be done today?

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
tero

What can be done today?

Post by tero »

As I understand this tutorial was crated something like 3 years ago? Since we are now in may 2011 I was wondering if is it a newer version of openwrt better? And I was searching this forums I think somebody said that newer versions of mpd does not work anymore? (to big or something'?)

So this thread should be about what can we update, and somebody then should compile everything.(not me since I am a linux noob 8-) and rewrite basic tutorial (that I can do)

-openwrt (should we use kamikaze or something newer?)
-mpd ... ok what version?

What else?
chrisjx

Re: What can be done today?

Post by chrisjx »

I've heard that the WL520GU will likely be in production through summer of 2012. They're still making them.

I can't respond to the software side of things.

I'm using the 520 for wireless sensor networking so I'd like a version that includes a web config page to make it easier to set up, update python scripts, etc. I send one of these off to a friend and then I have to tediously step my buddy, more of a noob than me, through editing wireless and network files. When I tried to get php loaded it choked, so I backed out and let sleeping dogs alone...

So like you, I'm looking at what I could do to update to a newer version. The 520 has limited memory, so that's why the openwrt build is the way it is. Until I get smarter and learn how to build a version on my own, I'm extremely happy with Jeff's build. I'm going to be showing my setup at this year's Bay Area Maker Faire in a few weeks from now.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: What can be done today?

Post by mightyohm »

tero -

Just because you are new to linux doesn't mean you can't learn to compile OpenWrt for yourself! Try things, experiment, ask for help when you get stuck, this is what this project is all about.

OpenWrt has grown a bit but hasn't really changed too much from what I can tell. Mpd has grown (literally) a LOT, to the point where it won't fit within the flash memory of the WL-520gU. So far, noone (that I know of) has managed to shrink it back down again, although over the past year a few people have talked about it (including me). I have been meaning to play with this for months but just can't seem to get around to it.

There are probably some other routers out there now, I asked about this a while back but didn't see too many options. I think the thread is still on the 1st page of the forums if you're interested.

chrisjx - Awesome! What is the name of your booth at the Maker Faire, and where will you be (Expo Hall?) I'll definitely come by and say hello. :D