My work, finaly done!

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
bbf

My work, finaly done!

Post by bbf »

Hi! This is my work, finaly in display condition! Thanks to great support from this forum!

Runs on WL500G Premium with aditional UHCI drivers, on cheapo USB audio, and RS232/bluetooth adapter for accessing the router on supported phone.
the output stage is actualy an 60's radio from RR Niš (ex Yugoslavian make), radio in original state, working as it should, wifi radio connected to phono input. Magic eye was transformed to VU meter, but only for WRT operation, on stations it works normaly.

ok, some pictures
Attachments
Great look!
Great look!
These are the guts, notice the electron tubes inside!
These are the guts, notice the electron tubes inside!
Original state, right from seller
Original state, right from seller
bbf

Re: My work, finaly done!

Post by bbf »

some more..
Attachments
right kind of music for the design!
right kind of music for the design!
night look.. leds showing all kind of states..
night look.. leds showing all kind of states..
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Cool! Nice work!! And I like your choice of music. :D

Did you connect the USB-audio adapter to the phono input directly or did you have to add a circuit to convert the audio signal to phono levels?

Also, does the tuning control change stations? ;)
bbf

Post by bbf »

hi!
audio it is connected through the 10u capacitor; the USB adapter has 2,25v bias voltage at output. although, sometimes the audio level is too high.
All settings (changing chanels, volume control, lan settings etc.) are done via bluetooth or telnet connection.
No, external drive for changing stations was not added. maybe later, maybe never. Also it's faster to grab a phone and do the change - and surely looks geekier ;)
LloydEwing

Post by LloydEwing »

Very nicely done! That is a great example of combining new technology and old technology without destroying the vintage equipment.

Since auxiliary inputs have a higher input impedance, you can usually connect a speaker (or headphone) output to an auxiliary input very easily. The voltage levels are usually about the same. You might want to adjust the tone control to compensate for the equalization they use in phonograph records, or you could add an RC circuit to give you a flat frequency response from the router.

Since vacuum tube circuitry is not bothered by voltage spikes, I have wondered if there is any danger to the new circuitry from being physically connected to the old equipment. You might want to have both devices on a surge protector.

Thanks for sharing!
Lloyd
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Connecting vacuum tube circuits to digital electronics scares me. If something goes wrong you could have a 200V plate voltage on your microcontroller. :D