Thank you Jeff! So excited.

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
samirsky

Thank you Jeff! So excited.

Post by samirsky »

Jeff,

Thank you so much for this project!
I have just made it through Step 7 (LCD Display), and all is working so far. Your instructions are so good, that I have had no issues!

My biggest snag was when I realized I needed a 16MHz oscillator, which I did not find in the parts list when I started. I didn't realize I needed it until I was building the LCD circuit and saw it on the schematic. Radio Shack doesn't stock those, OF COURSE (seems like they never have what I need, then I have to order online, pay shipping, and WAIT).

I found a 14.7456MHz oscillator I had left over from another project. I wasn't sure if it would work. I did some internet research before trying it. Based on what I read here (and confirmed by looking at the referenced tables in the ATMega168 datasheet), the 14.7456MHz processor should have less timing error for RS232 serial compared to 16MHz (not that you had a problem).

So I tried it and it worked! The only code change required was the processor speed in the make file (CLOCK=14745600).

Jeff, very well done! Thank you so much. I having been enjoying this project every step along the way. My goal is to put it inside an old 1935 GE radio which was my father's (pic attached). I knew if I restored it to original (with vacuum tubes), I would not use an AM radio. So the WiFi radio will give this old radio with nice craftsmanship new life.
Attachments
GeRadio1935.jpg
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Thank you Jeff! So excited.

Post by mightyohm »

samirsky,

Thanks for your kind words!

I'll have to go back and add the 16MHz crystal to the parts list - sorry about that! I'm glad you got the 14MHz crystal working, and you're right, it is possible to achieve a lower baud rate error with one of those precisely tuned crystals!

Nice case! Please post your finished result! :D
LloydEwing

Re: Thank you Jeff! So excited.

Post by LloydEwing »

samirsky,
That is a very nice project. Congratulations!

If I could make a suggestion, you might want to save the original electronics from that old radio. You can save all of it in a box in the attic in case you ever want to restore the old radio. I hate to say it, but in ten years we may be able to get something like the Mightyohm radio as part of an ordinary cheap clock radio. Internet radios are sure to become common and inexpensive eventually, and when that happens most people will probably think the Mightyohm radio is about as interesting as an old Windows 98 computer is for us today. An original vacuum tube radio will become more novel and interesting as time goes on.

The technology used in those old tube radios gives them a unique sound. If you like that sound, you can leave the vintage electronics in the box and connect the output from the USB-Audio adapter to the radio so it uses the vintage electronics to run the speaker. It is easy to make that connection. Some old radios even came with an axillary input for that purpose.

Lloyd