Minecraft Server

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Muffinman

Minecraft Server

Post by Muffinman »

Hey Guys,

I know it sounds very crazy, but is it possible to host an minecraft server on the router, so i can play in the wireless network with my brother and freinds?

Greets
jeroen94704

Re: Minecraft Server

Post by jeroen94704 »

Not sure what this has to do with the internet radio project, but no, it doesn't look like a router has sufficient resources to run a minecraft server, which seems to be a rather memory hungry app. Don't forget, these routers we're using only have, maybe, 32 megs of RAM.

Jeroen
Muffinman

Post by Muffinman »

Sorry...May, it was OT, but here are some pros which have enough talent to answer my question.
OndraSter

Post by OndraSter »

Actually, they have only 16MB RAM (both ASUS wl520gC and gU). There is possibility to solder one SMD resistor and change the chip for 32MB or 64MB one (good luck trying to find 64MB one - if you get one, send me two please :D). They must have input/output in 16 bits, have 4 banks. Usually the best source is SDRAM memories from PC. But I am not able to get 4-chipped 256MB, only 4chipped 128MB so far.

CPU itself will not be fast enough I bet. This is Java we are talking about. Not to mention that you'd need to somehow run Java on it and good luck trying to find java VM for MIPSEL architecture.
Muffinman

Post by Muffinman »

Sounds great :D

Okay, maybe i can use an old computer. But to use this little web radio sounds like a pretty cool idea. But it sounds like an impossible project.