Anyone tried the Asus WL-500g?

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
erickphilips

Anyone tried the Asus WL-500g?

Post by erickphilips »

Hi guys. Admittedly I did come across this site due to Tinkernut but having had a good look around it does look like your project is a lot more in depth etc so I'm wondering if you can help me. I've installed openWRT on an ASUS WL-500g that I found lying around and bought myself a small USB sound card. I'm now having trouble installing extra packages on it from the src/gz snapshots http://mightyohm.com/files/kamikaze-2.4/packages/mipsel
I keep getting messages saying that it is bypassing the files because they are not relevant to download.
Once I've gone back into the router and tried again I can tell you the exact wording of the errors. I presume it is because the USB drivers are specific to which version of the router you have.
Does anyone know if there are different drivers I need to install or whether it is indeed possible to do this on this router?
Many thanks in advance for any help I may receive. The project will be a 1st year wedding anniversary present to my best friend who is a bit strapped for cash.
jeroen94704

Re: Anyone tried the Asus WL-500g?

Post by jeroen94704 »

I use the WL-500G for this purpose all the time, but I have never used the firmware from this website. So while I can attest to the suitability of the 500G for this type of project, I can't help you with the specifics of your problem here. One thing you could do is to try and get the same packages from openwrt.org directly, and see if that makes a difference. I don't think it should though, since the 520 and the 500 share the same architecture.

The exact error message(s) would definitely be helpful.

Jeroen
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

Many thanks for your reply.
When I try opkg update I get the following messages "has no valid architecture, ignoring."
There are a whole list of package names followed by the above line.
As I said earlier I'm lead to believe that it's probably due to it being a different router but then again I'm a novis so it could just as easily be my incompetence. I'll try and find the packages from openWRT and do something similar.
Any more ideas would be welcomed with open arms.
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

You know what. I think I've got it. And yes I am being an utter noob. I've downloaded the backfire release of openWRT instead of the Kamikaze release. So I presume that the packages will be out of date so to speak.
OK I'll report back on the progress.
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

OK so now I've got everything to work except that MPD and MPC are not playing ball. I get the following error message
"problem opening log file "/root/ .mdp/mpd.log" (config line 8) for writing"
whenever I try and start the MPD.
Subsequently the MPC will not start.
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

Is there actually a space between "/root/" and ".mpd"? If so, remove that in the config file (/etc/mpd.conf) and try again.
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

Actually that's just my shocking typing. There's not space between them. I've just tried it again and the same error comes up.
I go into the /etc/mpd.conf file and don't find anything wrong there.
If you say you run the WL-500g what did you do to get yours to work? I presume you did pretty much the same as the tutorial on this site.
gerben

Post by gerben »

Dit you do the ...
root@OpenWrt:~# cd ~
root@OpenWrt:~# mkdir .mpd
root@OpenWrt:~# mkdir music
root@OpenWrt:~# mkdir .mpd/playlists
...part?

If so. What are the permissions of the .mpd folder (ls -la /root). Should be something like drwxr-xr-x.
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

Ok now this is incredibly exciting
Ithink it's all working!
Thanks for that. I had done the mkdir part but not the cd ~ bit so it had come up saying that the directories already existed.
mpd starts as does mpc. Now I just need to test it all!
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

ok so maybe not quite perfect yet. I've got no sound.
Set up ario and used the correct ip to connect. The AIR light starts flickering and the light in the USB soundcard starts blinking. This tells me that everything is working... erm no sound out of the speakers. And yes I've just tested the speakers on my laptop...
hmm