Tuning and tuner problems

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
rosbif

Tuning and tuner problems

Post by rosbif »

I should really be working :)

Anyway, I'm moving forward with the tutorials and am at the step of adding a tuning pot to the circuit (part 8).

First off, I noticed that the latest circuit diagram has added a couple of 1k Ohm resistors between pin 3 on the ATMega and the RX pin on the Asus. I don't understand if they're important or make a difference to my problem. I suspect they do, so they've been added in.

I've followed all the instructions so far and have mod'ed all the required system files but when I run the standard interface.sh script (along with display2.sh), it gets stuck at the loop (I've added a few "echo"s to see what the script is doing as I run it):

# Loop until we get a valid tuner position from the AVR
until inputline=$(echo $inputline | grep -e "^tuner: ")
do
inputline=$(head -n 1 < /dev/tts/0)
done

So it looks like /dev/tts/0 isn't returning anything.

Any clues?

N
rosbif

Re: Tuning and tuner problems

Post by rosbif »

Arrrgh, it's always the simplest solution to the problem.

I'd gone through everything in the scripts, tried reflashing the firmware, etc, etc, etc. I'd even resoldered the pin for TX on the ASUS router.

The problem? It was the fact that I'd connected the RX lead from the router to pin 4 on the ATMega instead of pin 3.

I'm off for a beer.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Tuning and tuner problems

Post by mightyohm »

Sometimes (often) it's the simple things that cause frustration!

The resistors are there to drop down the voltage levels of the AVR to the <3.3V levels that the router expects. It's a crude way to do it but it seems to work.