Usb audio adpater doesn't work

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
will.brett

Usb audio adpater doesn't work

Post by will.brett »

Dear Mightyohm and other forumers.

Im getting really frustrated with this project and its not the tutorials fault. I have bought the usb audio device that was recommended in the tutorial. I plug it in and zterm then re decompresses and boots the usual thing that the router does....then all the lights start flashing and i notice that the usb gets really hot.

Anyone have any idea whats up ?

Thanks WIll
gerben

Re: Usb audio adpater doesn't work

Post by gerben »

What do you mean by the usb is getting hot. Do you mean the empty port, the usb audio adapter, the plug part of the usb adapter, or do you have a usb-hub between it.
What leds are flashing?

But more importantly; is the router still working without the audio adapter plugged in?
My guess would be a faulty audio adapter (drawing to much current or something, but I'm no expert in that area).

Given that you were able to install openwrt the router wasn't defective before you started. Could be a broken usb port, but I think that is highly unlikely.

I guess I would first check if the router is still okay, and than just go buy an new audio adapter, one that is on the list.
will.brett

Post by will.brett »

Hi gerben,

It is the usb audio adapter that gets hot and i mean hot...nearly burnt my fingers the first time i tried to remove it.

I also have the plantronics usb adapter that is in the recommended working usb adapters section. I get this error when trying to run mpd. "No audio_output specified and unable to detect a default audio output device". this audio adpater also gets hot.
will.brett

Post by will.brett »

Turns out, that the power supply that was shipped with the router is 12v when it should be 5v. A very rude technician at work let me know in so many words.
gerben

Re: Usb audio adapter doesn't work

Post by gerben »

I didn't think of that. It does explain a lot.

I would try to return the router, and get a another one. Who knows what kind of damage the 12v has done. Or was it a second hand one?
will.brett

Post by will.brett »

Unfortunately it was second hand but i didn't find that out until i had opened it up. Must be more careful when buying online. Iv contacted the store but no response...Luckily bought the item through amazon so I might have a leg to stand on.

Thanks for all the help though