asus - arduino serial communication touch.n.go problem

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
emaundu

asus - arduino serial communication touch.n.go problem

Post by emaundu »

after installing openwrt on the router as per jeff's excellent instructions, communication with my arduino through ser2net or /dev/tts/0 works perfectly ... well sort of - sometimes after a cold reboot ... the arduino and router stop communicating through the serial (or networked) port.
i usually read and log the arduino console messages through the port using 'cat /dev/tts/0 >/tmp/logfile' and send messages to the arduino using ser2net in the form 'echo deviceOn >nc localhost 3008' or using telnet. vis versa works as well ... logging through ser2net and echoing messages to /dev/tts/0 directly. some cold reboots(un/plug power) result to the no data to or fro the arduino symptom. power cycling a few times seems to work when this problem randomly.
i have tried this with two different setups .i.e. different routers, shields n arduino setup. when i use my development usb on the arduino the sketch works consistently.
i have attached schematics (excuse the rat nest from my favorite program fritzing). the potential dividers are for sensor inputs with pull up/down resistors. the transistors are open collector drivers for relays. the arduino rx/tx on pins d0/1 are connected directly to the router tx/rx using a ribbon cable that is < 3'" through the shield.
in the attached picture, shown are the asus router, arduino(under the shield), shield, relays. the wires are for sensors and enclosure led's.
typical data from application can be seen at:
live data - http://kijanigrows.com/smartAquaponics
test alerts - http://twitter.com/#kijanigrows_tst

thanks in advance.
Attachments
closeUp-asusSmartShield.png
firstShieldWithComponents1.png
jeroen94704

Re: asus - arduino serial communication touch.n.go problem

Post by jeroen94704 »

You are apparently more knowledgeable about electronics than I am, but the first thing I though was an issue with voltage levels. As far as I know, the Asus routers have a 3.3V serial port, and the Arduino 5V. So at least between the Arduino TX and Asus RX pins, you would need some kind of level conversion. Jeff (and, therefore, me) does this with a simple voltage divider, but you can also use a dedicated level conversion chip such as the MAX232.

Could that be your issue?

Jeroen
emaundu

Post by emaundu »

i am flattered ... much obliged Jeroen
i think i can see how the lack of signal conditioning could be a potential source for the intermittent problem on the tx/rx lines.
it had not occurred to me as the bread board prototypes worked without this symptom - perhaps the serial port wiring attenuated the 5v signal sufficiently.
i will try the fix you recommend and let you know what i find.
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

I actually managed to blow up one of the serial ports on the Asus WL-500g by wiring it directly to my 5V breadboard. It became unreliable, and I was very happy the 500g has 2 serial ports, so at least I had the option of switching to the other one (which still works fine) as opposed to buying another router :)

Jeroen
emaundu

Post by emaundu »

much respects, jeroen - you suggestions i believe fixed the intermittent serial communication problem.
the 3.3v from the asus and 5v from arduino required logic level shifting. for some reason this problem did not appear while bread boarding.
i used the sparkfun logic level converter http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8745
just be sure to disregard the instructions and use the bidirectional mofet connections ... http://trandi.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/ ... o-arduino/ .... as the resistors are incorrectly biased.
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

Excellent! Glad to be opf help.
emaundu

Post by emaundu »

greeting jeroen ... so my problems with the router and arduino loosing communication after reboot persisted. the logic level shift between the arduino and router never really helped.
the other problem i was having is that the arduino would do a soft reset for no reason at random times but consistently.
i was about to give up on this but my friend took a look at my code, suggested a fix ... and viola ... the arduino is not resetting, neither are the problems with the mis-communications happening.
the issue was solved by keeping an input bound check for makeSerialStringPositon preventing a stack/buffer overflow.

Code: Select all

while (inByte != terminatingChar && Serial.available() > 0){ // As long as EOL not found and there's more to read, keep reading
      serialReadString[makeSerialStringPosition] = inByte; // Save the data in a character array
      ////makeSerialStringPosition++; //Increment position in array
===> if (++makeSerialStringPosition > 20) break; //Increment position in array <===
      //if (inByte > 0) Serial.println(inByte); // Debug line that prints the charcodes one per line for everything recieved over serial
      inByte = Serial.read(); // Read next byte
////Serial.println(inByte);
    }
emaundu

Post by emaundu »

the last post was actually the solution ... an input bound check on the serial line. -

Code: Select all

if (++makeSerialStringPosition > 20) break; //Increment position in array
the two problems were
-loss of communication during boot between arduino and assus
-arduino doing soft resets for no reason (uptime was never more than 8hrs)

i sniffed the the tx (arduino rx) output from the router further using an fdti cable.

the asus router sends strings of crap through the serial line when powering up ... the size is larger than my buffers and caused a buffer over on the arduino
the router further sends some funny DQ5 messages every so often - randomly. these where longer than my input string lengths .. again causing a buffer overflow on the arduino in the middle of operation. these come from the openwrt kernel. my serial console is disabled in inittab.
see attached pic's.
the scrolling commands are my test program trying to recreate the issue (i don't think it is tied to me).

asus router tx sniff on boot:
arduino rx in during asus boot - heliographics
arduino rx in during asus boot - heliographics
assus router DQ5 messages from the kernel:
DQ5 messages from kernel (on/off commands from test script)
DQ5 messages from kernel (on/off commands from test script)
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

I'm not sure what the DQ5 messages are, but the crap you get on start are all the bootup console messages. They are output at a different baud rate so all you get is a bunch of crap. I think boot messages on the serial port can be disabled, but then you are out of luck if something goes wrong and you need to debug.