Router not receiving data from AVR

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Sjurlur

Router not receiving data from AVR

Post by Sjurlur »

Hello

I have successfully flashed the AVR, and the display shows which station is playing.
But the router does not receive tuner commands from the AVR. When I launch interface.sh, the script does not echo "Tuner Position: 0", and changing the tuner position does not have any effect.

When I had it all connected on the breadboard it worked fine, so my guess is that it is a bad connection somewhere. But I have tried to:
* resolder the RX on the router twice.
* checked that the ADC4 port on the ATmega receives correct voltage according to tuner position.
* flashed the AVR again, and ran make fuse
* reinstalled interface.sh, and display2.sh

I`m out of ideas. Any help?
jeroen94704

Re: Router not receiving data from AVR

Post by jeroen94704 »

Are you comfortable making changes to the code? I tend to connect an LED to one of the GPIO pins of the microcontroller so I have at least some means of producing debugging output. That way, you can check if the ADC value inside the microcontroller corresponds with what you expect.

As a last ditch effort, you could put everything back on your breadboard, just to make sure the RX side of the router's serial port got fried somehow.

Jeroen
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

I suggest testing the serial port on the router with an FTDI cable so you can make sure that part works before spending too much time troubleshooting the AVR stuff.
Sjurlur

Post by Sjurlur »

How do I do that? When I press keys in Zterm a light on the cable blinks, but no text is showing in the window. The router does not give any response either.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Which cable are you using? Has it ever worked? Sounds like it's not now - do you see boot messages or anything?
djmasterg

Post by djmasterg »

Hi

Had the same situation here, the soldering point was not in contact with the asus board, it only hold the pin in place. After chcecking with multimeter, I had to resolder it again porperly. So it was not the AVR fault, as Jeff says.

Regards
Greg.