can I burn Arduino bootloader with Rescue Shield?

Topics related to the HV Rescue Shield:
http://mightyohm.com/hvrescue2
damontallen

can I burn Arduino bootloader with Rescue Shield?

Post by damontallen »

I'm something of a novice so please pardon me if this is an obvious question. Is it possible to burn a bootloader (for an Arduino) onto a ATMEGA328P using the AVR HV Rescue Shield?
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: AVR HV Rescue Shield Support

Post by mightyohm »

No, it is not a general purpose programming tool. You should use a programmer like the USBTinyISP, AVR Dragon, or AVRISP mkII for that.
rendy

Re: can I burn Arduino bootloader with Rescue Shield?

Post by rendy »

Hi Jeff,

Can you add that 6-pin port for the programmer so the number of time on removal/insertion of chip can be reduced? Thanks!

rendy
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Can you explain? I don't know what you mean.
rendy

Post by rendy »

Jeff

The following is my workflow. (1) Use Rescue Shield to erase the chip (2) remove chip and usb cable (3) hook up USBTinyISP programmer (4) insert chip to a breadboard with that 6-pin connector (5) flash the chip (6) remove chip. I am a beginner so I am not sure if my workflow represents typical one. I find myself inserting and removing chip quite often. I am just wondering if it is possible to combine some of the steps. If there is a 6-pin connector for the programming, I could do the followings: (1) insert chip on Rescue Shield to erase the chip (2) remove the usb cable from Rescue Shield and connect it to the USBTinyISP programmer (2) flash the chip (3) remove the chip.

thanks!

rendy
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

rendy,

I see what you mean now. It's a neat idea but wouldn't work very well in practice, because the signals used for the 6-pin programming interface are also used by the Rescue Shield. A better solution would be to add flash programming capability to the Rescue Shield.