Original HV Rescue Shield??

Topics related to the HV Rescue Shield:
http://mightyohm.com/hvrescue2
KenH

Original HV Rescue Shield??

Post by KenH »

Hello, I've got your original HV Rescue Shield - the version marked "Obsolete" - does the new sketch 212 work with this old shield also by selecting #1 or #2 option?

Thank you - and a GREAT product.

73 de Ken H>
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Original HV Rescue Shield??

Post by mightyohm »

Hi Ken!

Thanks for the kind words!

The original shield is not supported by sketches 2.0 and above. There are much shorter timing delays in the newer versions of the sketch, and the old hardware can't move fast enough.

Just for kicks, I tried using an old 1.0 shield with sketch 212, and surprisingly I was able to get an ATmega328 to mostly work (fuses read/write ok, not sure how repeatable it is). However, the ATtiny2313 routine freezes up before even reading the fuse bytes, and I suspect timing gremlins there. The ATtiny2313 was always more picky about timings and caused me a lot of trouble during development, so it's not entirely surprising it doesn't work in this case.

There is a hardware bug that affects shields up to version 2.0 (fixed in 2.1) that makes it impossible to rescue parts with some fuse configurations. See this thread for more info: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8

This bug is what led to the development of the 2.1 hardware, and I highly recommend the upgrade, both for the better hardware and the ability to run the latest sketches.