Hi all. Great project, and the many posts here have made for a successful hack. Thanks!
I thought it may benefit someone to share my setup:
- OpenWRT 8.09
- mpd & mpc
- alsa support (needed for my Chinese sound "card". without it (and step 5), all I got was beeping from the card)
- NFS (this was my stumbling block, and why I didn't use the MightyOhm FW)
Here's how I did it:
1) install 8.09 off openwrt using recommended method (I used tftp)http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8 ... uashfs.trx
2) change /etc/config/wireless & /etc/config/network as per instructions
3) keep the opkg.conf as delivered in the 8.09 FW for now and
opkg install kmod-usb-audio kmod-usb-ohci nfs-client
* you may or may not need this. you may if all you get is beeping...
opkg install kmod-alsa
4) change opkg.conf to point to packages on mightyohm (http://mightyohm.com/files/kamikaze-2.4/packages/mipsel
install mpd mpc
* While these are in the 8.09 repository, they are too fat to fit into RAM with their dependencies. So we get an older, leaner version from MightyOhm.
5) if you need alsa support:
a) comment out the one line in the file: /etc/modules/60-usb-audio
b) I dont know if this was necessary, but I changed the bitrate in the mpd.conf to 48000 since that's what dmesg output indicated the card was
6) mount NFS:
mount -t nfs [ip.addr.of.system]:/path/to/music /mnt/media -o nolock
* w/o the nolock option, the mount will hang
Seems so easy in retrospect, but it took me many tries to to get it all working.
Hope this helps someone.