BCM63xx radio station

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
danitool

BCM63xx radio station

Post by danitool »

I am fighting with this board to make a wifi radio station. So i have to use the latest trunk, this board ( Livebox DV4210) must to use kernel 2.6xx. Finally my openwrt seems to work fine, all hardware recognized. I use a conceptronic CSOUNDU as an usb audio adapter, it has cm109 chip. The audio adapter and the usb on the board are both usb1.1 (ohci)

The problem: the audio is very choppy and mpd is a lot of consuming CPU. I don't know if it is a problem with the kernel and usb, or mpd (madplay has the same behavior). Maybe a problem with mips kernel 2.6 and usb but i'm not sure. I cannot use 2.4 kernel because this board is not supported....

Any clue to solve my choppy audio problem?
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: BCM63xx radio station

Post by mightyohm »

What stream are you trying to play? What bitrate and is it shoutcast or something else?

Do you have wireless working with the 2.6 kernel?
danitool

Post by danitool »

I was trying this stream:
http://streamer-ntc-aa02.somafm.com:80/stream/1073

I also tried a little mp3 (192 kbps) stored in /tmp, but no luck. always choppy.

When I check the stream in /proc

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/default/stream0
it shows:

Playback:
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 1
    URBs = 3 [ 8 8 8 ]
    Packet Size = 200
    Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x2c.199a)
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: 0x2 (16 bits)
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
    Rates: 48000, 44100
Sometimes while i play the stream it says "stopped", and sometimes "Running"

The Wifi (minipci bcm4318) works quite fine in client mode. The kernel in the latest trunk for bcm63xx is 2.6.30.9, that is I am using.
I tried changing some things like:

echo 64 > /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/nrpacks
But, no luck, always choppy.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Are you using ALSA or OSS for audio? On linux-2.4 I used OSS because ALSA took up flash space and was causing some people problems. You might want to try experimenting with both to see if one fixes your problem. What is your system load like while mpd is playing? I wonder if something is different in 2.6 and you are using too much CPU?
danitool

Post by danitool »

I am using OSS (i'm not able to use alsa). CPU alway rises 100% when i play something. Now i'm looking for some problem in compilation, maybe a problem with a built FPU emulation (useles) somewhere in the players....
agordaliza

Post by agordaliza »

Hi...

First of all: (mightyohm) thanks for sharing and congratulations.

Second: (danitool) Did you manage to succesfully use madplay???

I am trying to build my Internet Radio by means of a Inventel Livebox too and a 3D sound card (ultra cheap one)
But my approach (might by changed) considers not changing the firmware (Linux 2.4), to keep the ADSL, and "insmod"ding the required modules.

So far I have insmodded the soundcore.o, and the audio.o modules, and compiled madplay for MIPS statically (921kb!!!). I have no room for madplay so I had to mount a NFS file system where the madplay bin is located on and try to run madplay from there.

..but Madplay does not start, it throws a Segmentation fault message instead.

Even though I am using kernel 2.4 and uclibc (what makes a clear difference). How did you build madplay??? Any strange build option?? or did you just opgk-ed it???

Thanks a lot.
danitool

Post by danitool »

argodaliza, finally I did it. With openwrt and my latest patch which fix the performance issue in this board. Madplay works quite well.
Still fighting with mpd. In the latest trunk mpd is fat as a cow, and doesn't work with oss..