usb hub

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
jfs10

Re: usb hub

Post by jfs10 »

richms wrote:I am using a crap-tastic $1 hub - its the sort that half the time only work as USB1.1, do for me on my desktop PC but on the asus they are fine and do USB2 speeds sweet as.

The xitel USB audio device I have used has a philips chip in it. Not tried the cheapie device since it sounded so bad on the computer I held no hope for it working on the asus.

Could it be the mixer thats the problem? I have to turn it up on the device I have, its about 20dB down by default. No noise tho, but it seems to have had some care in its design to avoid that.
It is odd that the audio device works fine when connected directly to the router, but as soon as I place it on the usb hub, it has problems. I will try the audio device and hub on a PC and see what kind of results I get from that.

So it sounds like most people that are using an usb hub are not using a powered one. That is a powered hub might not be needed in all cases.

I am planning on connecting an Arduino to my router and wanted to use the USB connection for that.
jfs10

Post by jfs10 »

Well, I tested the audio device on my netbook using the USB hub and it worked just fine. Not sure why it will not work on the router through the hub. I will try a USB extension cable just to see if that causes it a problem. In theory, it should not. Running out of ideas as to why this will not work for me, but seems to work for everyone else.
eli2k

Post by eli2k »

jfs10 wrote:Well, I tested the audio device on my netbook using the USB hub and it worked just fine. Not sure why it will not work on the router through the hub. I will try a USB extension cable just to see if that causes it a problem. In theory, it should not. Running out of ideas as to why this will not work for me, but seems to work for everyone else.
Some stuff for me, like an ipod, for example, do not work properly from a USB hub and I have to connect it directly to a USB port. =/
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

jfs10 wrote:Well, I tested the audio device on my netbook using the USB hub and it worked just fine. Not sure why it will not work on the router through the hub. I will try a USB extension cable just to see if that causes it a problem. In theory, it should not. Running out of ideas as to why this will not work for me, but seems to work for everyone else.
Does it make any difference if you have the hub plugged in at startup vs. plugging it in later?

What does dmesg say about all of this?
jfs10

Post by jfs10 »

mightyohm wrote:
Does it make any difference if you have the hub plugged in at startup vs. plugging it in later?

What does dmesg say about all of this?
I have not been hot plugging the device in. Every time I have tested, I have connected every thing with the power removed from the router.

What does dmesg say? I guess I should have included this information from the start. dmesg says the device is there. The green light on the device is on solid. When I issue a command to play a song, the green light on the device does not flash as it does when it is connected directly to the router. I get no sound from the speakers, but mpc does not indicate that there is a problem. Oddly, if I use the usb hub with power applied to it and connect it to the router, the audio device, and a pair of USB powered speakers, I get very weak and very broken sound. I tried this set up first without powered USB hub. Because I got this broken weak sound, I figured that I probably needed a powered USB hub.

Currently the speakers that I am using are always on. That is, it does not matter whether the speakers are powered on or not, the sound will come through. Actually, with the volume set to 50, I can hear the sound well. I usually test with this set of speakers, but I had planned to use the USB powered speakers in the final product.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Maybe I missed this, but have you tried various other hubs to see if another brand/model will work?

That is all I can think of at this point. :(
jfs10

Post by jfs10 »

Yes, I have tried other hubs.

According to dmesg, the router sees it when plugged into the hub. The green light on the device does go solid green. When I play music, I get no errors, but I also get no music and the green light on the device does not flash.

I have yet to try the audio device on an USB extension cable.

I really is odd problem.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Yes, I am very confused as well. All I can say is that I have used the SYBA adapter several times with the hub I mentioned, and I have never had a problem.

I wonder if SYBA changed something about their device? What does the dmesg output look like with/without the hub?
jfs10

Post by jfs10 »

the dmesg output is the same with and without the hub. I will try to post it soon.

I did try the device on an extension cable. I guess my hope was that it would fail. The would perhaps mean that hub is not the issue and that the device and perhaps another device would need to be plugged directly into the router. Well, it worked like a charm. So it looks like it could be the router, or the device. I have tried two different USB hubs and both gave the same results. Clearly it is cheaper to purchase another audio device, so I might get around to trying that soon.

Thanks
jfs10

Post by jfs10 »

Well, a different audio device, but same result.

Below is the information from dmesg. The first part is with the hub and the second part is without:

hub.c: new USB device 00:03.1-1, assigned address 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected
hub.c: new USB device 00:03.1-1.3, assigned address 3
usbaudio: device 3 audiocontrol interface 0 has 1 input and 1 output AudioStreaming interfaces
usbaudio: device 3 interface 2 altsetting 1 channels 1 framesize 2 configured
usbaudio: valid input sample rate 48000
usbaudio: valid input sample rate 44100
usbaudio: device 3 interface 2 altsetting 1: format 0x00000010 sratelo 44100 sratehi 48000 attributes 0x01
usbaudio: device 3 interface 1 altsetting 0 does not have an endpoint
usbaudio: device 3 interface 1 altsetting 1 channels 2 framesize 2 configured
usbaudio: valid output sample rate 48000
usbaudio: valid output sample rate 44100
usbaudio: device 3 interface 1 altsetting 1: format 0x01000010 sratelo 44100 sratehi 48000 attributes 0x01
usbaudio: registered dsp 14,3
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 6 type 0x0301
usbaudio: warning: found 1 of 2 logical channels.
usbaudio: assuming that a stereo channel connected directly to a mixer is missing in search (got Labtec headset?). Should be fine.
usbaudio: registered mixer 14,0
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 7 type 0x0101
usbaudio: registered mixer 14,16
usb_audio_parsecontrol: usb_audio_state at 80bc86e0
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:03.1-1 address 2
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:03.1-1.3 address 3
usbaudio: unregister dsp 14,3
usbaudio: unregister mixer 14,0
usbaudio: unregister mixer 14,16

hub.c: new USB device 00:03.0-1, assigned address 3
usbaudio: device 3 audiocontrol interface 0 has 1 input and 1 output AudioStreaming interfaces
usbaudio: device 3 interface 2 altsetting 1 channels 1 framesize 2 configured
usbaudio: valid input sample rate 48000
usbaudio: valid input sample rate 44100
usbaudio: device 3 interface 2 altsetting 1: format 0x00000010 sratelo 44100 sratehi 48000 attributes 0x01
usbaudio: device 3 interface 1 altsetting 0 does not have an endpoint
usbaudio: device 3 interface 1 altsetting 1 channels 2 framesize 2 configured
usbaudio: valid output sample rate 48000
usbaudio: valid output sample rate 44100
usbaudio: device 3 interface 1 altsetting 1: format 0x01000010 sratelo 44100 sratehi 48000 attributes 0x01
usbaudio: registered dsp 14,3
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 6 type 0x0301
usbaudio: warning: found 1 of 2 logical channels.
usbaudio: assuming that a stereo channel connected directly to a mixer is missing in search (got Labtec headset?). Should be fine.
usbaudio: registered mixer 14,0
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 7 type 0x0101
usbaudio: registered mixer 14,16
usb_audio_parsecontrol: usb_audio_state at 806d5dc0

Again, without the hub music plays and the light on the audio device flashes. On the hub, the light on the device indicates that the device has power, but it never flashes. mpc says that music is playing.