Integrate OpenWrt into an old cassette recorder

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
queck

Integrate OpenWrt into an old cassette recorder

Post by queck »

Hi,
I got this old cassette recorder produced in former east Germany (where I live).
It was pretty much broken, so I took everything apart, cleaned it and now I have a empty case with (hopefully) enough space.

That I'm planning to do:

* flash a WLAN-Router to receive Online radio programs.
* build an amplifier (no problem for me), the device should be able to switch between the integrated speaker and unamplified output as output.
* use the volume regulator which is built in
* add an LCD-Display, perfect place for it would be the cassette deck (possible?)
* somehow integrate the buttons that are on the device to switch channels etc. (possible?)

So what I need is a WLAN-Device which fits in the case:
Image (klick)
I already got a USB to Audio Adapter which works under Linux. I will build the amplifier by myself, I have enough stuff lying around to do that. Sadly I have no experience with Routers... maybe you can suggest me some, which fit in the case and can provide the functions I need.

Thanks in advance :)

I found a LCD in my stock, Image operating controller PCF8578/9 Image I used it once via the printer Port, it needs + and -5V, but I'm optimistic that I can generate that negative current (1mA). Can I use it with the project? I'm really not up to date with microcontrollers and stuff :/. (Router has to have JTAG and there should be some software supporting the controller LCDSmartie or whatever the latest software is)?

I already wrote this in the OpenWRT-Forum but they work more at the base of routers and don't care so much about appliances.

Maybe I can get a Linksys WRT150N; Broadcom 4704 @ 266MHz; 4mb Flash, 16mb RAM. Does anybody have some experience with this one?
jeroen94704

Re: Integrate OpenWrt into an old cassette recorder

Post by jeroen94704 »

15x20 cm is pretty big. That would almost fit a mini-itx motherboard (17x17). So I suspect most routers' boards would fit in that space, assuming you have enough vertical clearance.

I really don't know if there's any support for the LCD display you have, and I also don't know if the average router has a JTAG interface.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It looks to me like you're taking on a pretty challenging project.

Good luck, and let us know here in this forum how it goes.

Jeroen
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

If you choose a router other than the WL-520gU, you lose the advantage of having a known working firmware and the tutorial online...

I originally wanted to stick my router into an old AM/FM radio and replace the tuning dial with the LCD while keeping the tuning control to change stations... In the end I gave up because I couldn't find an easy way to cram all of the components I needed into the available space. That isn't to say it can't be done!

I am not aware of a router with USB and JTAG that will do what you want, but then again my knowledge is pretty outdated now - I last looked in fall of 2008. :D
queck

Post by queck »

Hm, maybe it is more complicated than I thought.
I will go easy on this; at first I need a router that plays streaming online radio through an USB soundcard.
Than I will put it in the radio, find a permanent solution for power supply and go on building the amplifier.
If there is still time left I will find a solution for lcd and maybe some external controls.

Sadly the WL-520GU isn't out there used on ebay (at least not in Germany) and costs about 50€. I can get other routers with (hopefully) same functions for about 6€.