LCD-Problems

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Lichte

LCD-Problems

Post by Lichte »

Hello!

I have problems in Part7.

I flashed the AVR with a blinking LED.
Then I build up the circuit! But I can't flash the AVR with the zip.file given at the homepage.
I use Windows XP with WinAVR and my programmer is an avrisp mkII.

In the makefile I changed "-c usbtiny" to "avrisp2" ... but the problem is the same.

Can someone tell me what I've to change that the system is running?

Thank you for helping me and sorry because of my English. I'm from Germany :-)

regards!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: LCD-Problems

Post by mightyohm »

Hello Lichte! Welcome to the forums!

What is the error message from avrdude?

If you can post it here, I may be able to help you.

- Jeff
Lichte

Post by Lichte »

Ok... first of all: I had this error message at the blinking LED, too. THen I changed something in the makefile (programmer to avrisp2) and changed a connection on the board and then it worked.
Now: I think the connections are ok. Can there something be wrong in the makefile?

The green LED is on, so the programmer is ready to communicate, but when he will change his status to programming mode he aborded ("failed").

I'm despairing with this stuff... :(
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

The error message says "See the command output for more info." If you can find where that is, post the error message here.

Just to be sure I understand, are you using a TinyUSBISP programmer from Adafruit? And you are using an ATmega168 microcontroller, correct?

Do you have the jumper on the programmer installed so that it provides 5V power to the AVR? Without this, the AVR will not function, unless you are providing it 5V from somewhere else during programming.
Lichte

Post by Lichte »

No, I'm using an "avrisp mk II" - Programmer and the programm I use is WinAVR.

[img]http://www.atmel.ru/Disks/AVR%20Te ... .jpg[/img]

The microcontroller is an ATmega168, correct!!!

I programmed a blinking LED ... so the programmer and the AVR are operating correctly!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Where did the AVR get power from when you made the blinking LED? Is it still getting power from the same source? Can you verify that the AVR is getting 5V now?

Are there any other error messages, log files, etc that WinAVR provides that might help us solve this problem? The dialog box refers to a command output, I'd like to see any error messages if possible.

At what point did you stop being able to program the AVR? After you changed out all the parts in your protoboard from the blinking LED circuit to my LCD circuit? If you reassemble the blinking LED circuit, are you able to program the AVR again?

Have you double and triple checked all wiring in the LCD circuit as well as the wiring from the AVR to the programmer?
Lichte

Post by Lichte »

THe AVR is getting 5V!!!!!!!!

I can't detect an ouput file. :(

Yes, at this point.

I double and triple checked all.

I think I will build-up the circuit from the beginning ...

Is there something to change in the makefile?
You use another progammer and another display. My programmer ist he AVRisp mk II and my display is an EA DIP162-DNLED (http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~felber/DataS ... DIP162.pdf).
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Hi lichte,

Can you explain what is meant by "I can't detect an output file."

The Makefile needs to be adjusted for your programmer if you are using the "make flash" command. I'm not sure if you are since you are using a completely different programming environment that I am. The line to change is "PROGRAMMER = -c usbtiny", this would need to be updated for your programmer. But if you are not using avrdude then I don't think this will change anything.

Another thought... The zip file on my website includes a hex file called "main.hex"

Can you use avrdude or some other means to flash this hex file to the AVR, without messing with the Makefile or the source code?

You will need to set the fuses as well for the code to work. This requires some knowledge of how to operate your programmer or whatever software is driving it.

The fuse values are:
hfuse 0xDF
lfuse 0xC7
Lichte

Post by Lichte »

Hi!

The problems are solved. I rebuilt the circuit and it worked. Thanks for your help
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Lichte,

Cool, glad you got it working eventually. :D