Alternative Software with new functions

Topics related to the HV Rescue Shield:
http://mightyohm.com/hvrescue2
trickedjmo

Alternative Software with new functions

Post by trickedjmo »

Hi,

I thought I'd share with other users of the HV Rescue shield an enhanced Arduino script I have written, based on Jeff's original software v212.

I've called the new software HVRescue_Plus to distinguish it from Jeff's package which remains the official software for the board. The Software is covered by the same GPL licence as the original.

The new software retains the look and feel of the original, it can still be run in interactive and non interactive mode and starts by requesting the AVR family as before. The existing fuse settings are then printed along with the device signature and lock bits. After this the user is presented with a menu of functions.

The E command allows the user to erase the AVR.

The F command allows the fuses to be set as before. OK or fail will be printed depending on the success of the operation.

The R command allows a block of the flash memory to be dumped to screen. The user has to input the required start address in hex.

The P command is similar to the R command but operates on the EEPROM

The W command performs a simple test of the flash by writing a small block of data to it and checking it programs correctly. The user has to input the required start address in hex, which must be the first byte of a page (see device datasheet for details about page size). The user can view the test pattern written by using the R command to read it back.

The T command performs a similar test on the EEPROM but with a different shorter 4 byte pattern as EEPROM page sizes are smaller.

Since multiple commands are available the script does not request a button press between each operation, instead use the S command to 'safely remove' the device from the socket. Programming mode will be exited, the socket powered down and the green LED lit.

The software has been built successfully on both Arduino release 22 and 1.0. It has been tested on a 32k Arduino Duemilanove with the HV Rescue Shield 2.1 and an ATtiny85, ATtiny2313 & ATmega48, but should work with other devices. I don't have a mega to test but it should work. Depending on the system and device in use some garbage may appear within the display, this is due to the shield sharing the serial data lines with the target AVR and is unavoidable.

Please be aware the Erase and Test functions WILL clear/overwrite existing data in the device so please use caution when selecting these functions.

Please post any feedback to the forum.

Dennis
HVRescue_Shield_Plus_100.zip
(24.05 KiB) Downloaded 5602 times
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Software with new functions

Post by mightyohm »

Dennis,

Thanks for posting this, I will add a link to the HV Rescue Shield kit page.
x-warrior

Post by x-warrior »

I'm trying to use HC RESCUE Shield V1.0 with your code.

I tried to unbrick my old atmega328p with the version 1.0 and it worked, now I want to use the V2.0 program using 1.0 board. I updated the pin configuration to the same as Version 1.0, and tried to use, but it says the wrong fuses on read and I get a fail on write.

Any ideas? Or maybe some tip how to do this?
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Hi,

This software is designed to work with the 2.1 version of the hardware and won't work with the original circuit without modifications.
At a minimum, you need to invert the control signal to the HV switch, and there may be other more subtle issues as well.
valentyn

Post by valentyn »

Hi, the new software is great! (The rescue shield is great too!) It even worked with my Arduino Leonardo (Chinese clone) without problems.

I was wondering though, if you (after all these years) accept patches. I rewrote a couple of input routines, because my Leonardo has this disappearing/reappearing serial line. My patch now:
- waits for valid input; if the input is invalid, it will reprint the menu or message. This greatly improves the user experience when just using the rescue shield connected to a serial port (i.e. without a programmer)
- the fuse entry will also retry valid input (i.e. you can enter 2 digits; any invalid entry will be wiped out and the prompt will reappear.

Maybe it's time for the software to be put in a public repository somewhere?

Best regards,

Valentijn
tannenba

Post by tannenba »

Tried this on my new ver 2.1 shield and my Arduino Uno with IDE ver 1.8.12 and once I found the 12V control, this works great. Tried to erase an ATtiny85 and it worked great. I really like the Safely remove function.

Thank you
Joe