Playing MP3 files off a PC

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
charleso

Playing MP3 files off a PC

Post by charleso »

Thanks for a great blog/tutorial - I have been able to get my WL-520gu playing audio very easily thanks to your instructions.
I'd like to be able to play MP3s off my Windows PC and have been playing around with trying to use Samba to mount a drive on the PC. Have you had any luck with this? An alternative would be to use NFS, but then I would have to run an NFS server on my Windows PC.
I have installed the samba-client and samba-server packages (not sure if I need the second one, as I only want to mount the windows filesystem from the router, not the other way around), but smbd doesn't seem to run and "mount -t smbfs //10.1.1.3/music /mnt/music" gives me the error "No such device".
What version of Kamikaze is you build based on? I'd like to try some of the packages off the openwrt web site, but I'm not sure which version to use.
Thanks.
charleso

Re: Playing MP3 files off a PC

Post by charleso »

Just did a bit more digging around and found a reference on the openwrt.org website that says you are using 7.09.
Also saw that there is already a post here from someone trying to do the same thing viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18
but they haven't solved it either.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

It's actually not 7.09 but something in between 7.09 and 8.09RC1. I misstated it as 7.09 a couple times before I realized that I had downloaded the source from the svn trunk instead of the 7.09 branch.

I speculate that you could actually use packages off of openwrt.org without issue, but I could be totally wrong about that. Worth a try at least...

I haven't messed with smb but surely someone else here has. Hopefully someone will speak up.
charleso

Post by charleso »

I was being lazy and trying to avoid building it all myself, but it isn't that difficult. I have just built 8.09 and in menuconfig I configured it exactly as you suggested and also added cifs. I have got that all running and after doing "opkg install kmod-fs-cifs" I can mount my windows drive by following the commands given in http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/RemoteFileSystemHowTo.html
I installed Apcahe web server ("apt-get install apache2") on Debian running in VMware so that the router could get at the packages I had built.
Only problem I have now is that I don't have enough space to install mpd - it complains that glib2 needs 1403 blocks and I only have 1272 left.
I will go back and try rebuilding it with less packages (I don't need a lot of the router stuff like firewall etc. I suspect) to save space.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

The version of mpd (0.14) that gets built with 8.09 (or whatever gets checked out by default) is really bloated because of the glib2 dependency, as you discovered. I reverted back to mpd 0.13.2 and saved a few hundred kB of flash. You can try to figure out how to check out an older version of a package (with svn?) or try installing the mpd package I used for the wifi radio project.

Try downloading this package to the router with wget and installing it with opkg and see what happens:
http://mightyohm.com/files/kamikaze-2.4 ... mipsel.ipk
charleso

Post by charleso »

Thanks - that worked nicely. Now just got to work out how to use mpc :)
El1m1nate

Post by El1m1nate »

I have samba working nicely. although my version is 8.09...
I found a great tutorial on it, and in the end it helped me install other applications successfully onto my usb stick.
http://www.macsat.com/OpenWRT/samba.php
jmarinchak

Post by jmarinchak »

Is there any chance of getting the working version of smb/cifs uploaded to mightyohm?

I tried using the samba-client files using opkg -install samba-client (referring to http://mightyohm.com/files/kamikaze-2.4/packages/mipsel

I've been trying to get samba working and I'm having the same problems as above. I don't have a build environment set-up right now.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

My (flawed?) philosophy thus far has been that if you want to play with packages that are outside the scope of the wifi radio project, you really should get access to a Linux box and set up your own build environment so you can compile your own.

My reasoning for this is that if you are tinkering with the router, you will probably want full access to all of the packages that are available as well as newer versions, patches, etc. that are not included in the files on this site.

The version of Kamikaze used for the Wifi Radio is actually pretty outdated now, and in most cases you would be better off starting with the latest release vs. trying to get old versions of the packages working.

Does that make sense?