New WL520GU approach - building on the shoulders of giants

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
mtennant

Re: New WL520GU approach - building on the shoulders of gian

Post by mtennant »

that is really nice to know! I'll see if I can install Luci on my existing Mightyohm radio. Many thanks Jeroen.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Does luci fit in the WL-520gU flash?
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

Well, I run my mpd boxes on a couple of WL-500G deluxe routers, which have the same amount of flash as the 520 (4 MB), and a stock openwrt image fits with room to spare. The big caveat here is that there is so little room left on the flash that mpd et al needs to be installed to a USB drive.

On the other hand, luci itself is split into a bunch of smaller packages, so you can pick and choose which ones you need.

Jeroen
mtennant

Post by mtennant »

I just got the little green USB thingy with the audio, mouse, keyboard and USB hub combined.

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

When I plugged it into my WL-520gu Radio (running the ilinux v0.3 firmware), it booted and proceeded to send out a high pitched, continuous tone, similar to what I've seen others say happens with unsupported devices.

I took it apart, and the sound chip doesn't even have any markings on it. It works in Windows, and drivers are loaded automatically in XP SP3, but it is apparently not a sound chip that works at this time with my version of OpenWRT.

I am planning on plugging it into a Linux desktop system (Linux Mint) to see if it is recognized there, and will report back.
mtennant

Post by mtennant »

Linux Mint recognized the USB sound card chip in this all-in-one USB Sound, keyboard, mouse, hub device.

It worked playing music on the laptop it was connected to.

The big problem is that the volume control is either off or on 100%, no matter where you put the slider bar.

But, it has a driver in Linux that can make it work. Now, how to determine which driver? This is where I get fuzzy.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

I think it is a stretch to assume that all drivers present in Linux Mint are also present in OpenWrt. Newer linux distributions include all sorts of fancy things (pulseaudio, etc) that would never fit in the tiny flash of the wireless router!

I would try to find a usb-audio adapter that is known to work. We are working on creating a list at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=232