Introducing the MightyOhm Geiger Counter kit!
- 100% Open Source Hardware!
- LED and piezo speaker alert you to detected radioactivity.
- Mute button for silent operation.
- An ATtiny2313 microcontroller brain that is begging to be hacked!
- Support for several common Geiger-Müller tubes: SI-3BG, SI-1G, and SBM-20. HV supply can be adjusted from ~300-600V.
- Headers for serial (9600 baud), in-circuit programming of the AVR microcontroller, and pulse output (to connect the geiger counter to other stuff!)
- Serial data logging! Counts per second (CPS), counts per minute (CPM), and equivalent dose are reported via the serial port once a second.
There are several ordering options:
- You can buy a complete package that includes the Geiger Counter kit, Geiger-Muller tube, and a custom laser-cut case (recommended).
- You can buy just the Geiger Counter kit with a tested, known good SBM-20 Geiger-Muller tube included.
- You can buy the same kit with all parts except the Geiger tube (in case you already have one).
- The laser-cut case is available separately.
- Or, you can purchase a bare PCB only (for experimenters).
You can select one of these options below:
Shipping is via USPS Priority Mail. US Customers: Allow 1-2 weeks for order processing and delivery. International customers: Orders are shipped via USPS Priority Mail International and can take up to 4 additional weeks to clear customs (typically less). VAT taxes, duties, import tariffs, customs fees, etc. are the responsibility of the buyer!
The HVPS is based on a design that I first saw at BroHogan‘s DIYGeigerCounter site. The original circuit appears in “Biassing [sic] G-M Tubes Isn’t So Hard” by Tom Napier in the January 2004 issue of Nuts & Volts.