HV Rescue Shield 2
Introducing the AVR HV Rescue Shield 2
The HV Rescue Shield 2 is a high voltage parallel mode fuse programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers.
It currently supports a wide variety of AVR chips, including the 28-pin ATmega48/88/168/328 series, the 20-pin ATtiny2313, and many 8-pin ATtiny devices (such as the ATtiny25/45/85 and ATtiny13A). A list of supported devices is in progress, but the Rescue Shield supports many more devices than those listed on the wiki.
Update Feb 2011: Version 2.1 is in stock and shipping now!
- Assembly Instructions
- Arduino Sketch Download
- Usage Instructions
- Schematics, layout, and bill of materials
- Compatible Devices
- Version 2.1 introduces a new and improved 12V switching circuit
- Completely open source. Source code, schematics, layout, BOM are available.
- Custom 2-layer PCB with silkscreen and soldermask. No more hacking and modifying perfboards to fit Arduino’s nonstandard pin spacing!
- Onboard 12V DC-DC boost converter eliminates the need for an external 12V power supply.
- Support for many common families of AVR microcontrollers in DIP packages.
- Support for programming the extended fuse (EFUSE) byte.
- An interactive mode, where desired fuses can be entered using the Arduino’s serial port.
- Separate Ready and Burn indicators.
- Works with the original Arduino (NG, Duemilanove, Uno) and the Arduino Mega.
New in release 2.0:
- Support for 8-pin ATtiny devices that use High Voltage Serial Programming (HVSP) mode!
- Mode selection at startup so you don’t have to recompile the Arduino sketch to change parts.
- More reliable HFUSE burning on all HVPP targets.
- Numerous minor bug fixes and speed improvements to the code.
- A working Arduino (tested with Arduino Uno, Duemilanove and Arduino NG)
- A computer with USB and the Arduino IDE installed (tested with Arduino 0021)
- A soldering iron and basic electronics assembly skills
What you get:
- A high quality printed circuit board with the DC-DC converter preassembled, as shown below.
- All other components needed to build the kit
- An Arduino sketch, assembly instructions, Eagle schematics and layout files.
What the HV Rescue Shield is not:
The HV Rescue Shield is not a general purpose AVR microcontroller programmer. That is, it can’t be used to perform a chip erase or program flash memory. It is intended only for programming the AVR’s configuration fuses: HFUSE, LFUSE, and EFUSE (where applicable).
The hardware implements all of the control lines to support flash programming, but the code just isn’t there. If anyone would like to volunteer to rewrite the code to support more features, such as general flash programming, please post in the support forum!
The HV Rescue Shield is 100% open source (hardware and software). OSHW rules!
Here is a snapshot of the components included with the kit.
For assembly questions, troubleshooting and other support, go to the AVR Rescue Shield Forum.
How to order:
To purchase kits or bare PCBs, use the links below.
See the Shipping Status page for information about current stock and delivery.
HV Rescue Shield 2 Kit – $19.95
Includes a high quality PCB with pre-assembled DC-DC converter and all components required to build the kit.
Note: Arduino and target AVR not included.
Bare PCB Only – $6
Get a head start in building your own programmer from scratch!
Note: DC-DC Converter is not included. Components not included.
Shipping is via USPS First Class Mail. US Customers: Allow 1-2 weeks for order processing and delivery. International customers: Orders are shipped via USPS Priority Mail International and can take up to 4 additional weeks to clear customs (typically less). VAT taxes, duties, import tariffs, customs fees, etc. are the responsibility of the buyer!
To review the contents of your shopping cart, click the View Cart button below.