Yesterday I recorded another episode of The Amp Hour, a weekly podcast about electronics (and a lot of other stuff) hosted by Chris Gammell and Dave Jones.
This is my fourth time on the show! I also found out that I am listed as a member of the show now. Whoohoo!
This is also the first time that Chris, Dave, and I have all been on the show together. It was awesome recording with both of those guys, and I think it was my best show yet!
Just before the show, we learned that the latest version of Skype allows all callers to talk at the same time. Go Skype!
The Amp Hour #38 — Comical Keyzer Comes a-Callin’
Thanks to John, of the ATX Hackerspace, who loaned me his Arduino for testing, the HV Rescue Shield now works with the Arduino Mega.
I had to create new byte read/write functions for digital lines 0-7 because they are implemented very “differently” (and I don’t mean that in a good way) in the hardware for the Mega. If you’re interested in how I did this, check out the new version 2.12 Arduino sketch and the new mega_data_read and mega_data_write functions.
To use the HV Rescue Shield with the Arduino, first download the revised sketch here. Set the MEGA #define to 1 and compile/upload the sketch to your board. Make sure you have the Arduino Mega selected in the Arduino Board menu, or the sketch won’t compile.
The Mega has more pin headers than the Rescue Shield, so be sure to install the shield all the way to the left, as shown here:
If you experience any problems with the HV Rescue Shield and the Arduino Mega, please report them in the support forum.
Welcome, BBC listeners! You probably want to start here.
Last Friday, I was interviewed by Gareth Mitchell of BBC’s Digital Planet at the incredibly successful Dorkbot/Ignite SXSW show.
The Digital Planet SXSW episode (and a <short!> clip from my interview) is now online.
You can also subscribe to a podcast of the show, available for most media players.
I also uploaded some pictures of the Dorkbot/Ignite event. They only capture a small fraction of the exhibits, there just wasn’t enough time for me to see them all!
I get a lot of questions about the products and projects on this site. This is great, because it means that people are actually buying kits and reading the blog!
Unfortunately, answering these questions takes a lot of time. What is particularly time consuming is that I often answer the same questions over and over again.
Why is this?
One reason is that I receive a lot of requests for support via private channels such as PMs on the forums, contact form submissions, and e-mail.
In an effort to reduce my support workload and encourage collaboration between customers and readers of the blog, I have slowly started to redirect support requests to the support forums. The forums help me help you. All posts on the forums are public, so other readers can participate in and benefit from the discussion.
Moving forward, I will no longer be answering support requests via a private channel. If you send me an e-mail, contact form, or PM on the forums that is not of a specifically private nature, there’s a good chance I will respond with a form letter redirecting you to the support forums. This isn’t because I don’t want to help, but because I need to make the most effective use of the limited amount of time I have to provide support.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that I won’t be responding to private communications at all – if you have something you would like to discuss that warrants a closed conversation, then by all means, send me a private message on the forums or submit a contact form.
I’d also like to point out that product support gets top priority, so if you have a question about a project that doesn’t involve a kit (like the Wifi Radio project) and I don’t respond immediately, please bear with me – I’ll get to your request as soon as I can.
With any luck, I’ll be migrating the site to a new web hosting provider this week.
At some point I’ll be disabling comments and posts on the blog, forums, and wiki so I can be sure we don’t lose any data during the migration. There will likely be a couple days during which the site will be down for brief periods as I sort out the configuration on the new server and the new DNS records propagate. Hopefully the disruptions will be brief and I’ll have things up and running 100% again by the end of the week.
The details and timing of the migration are still being worked out, so stay tuned for updates.
Update: Order processing should still function normally during the transition. As long as the product pages are up, you should be able to place an order.
Update 2: I’m going to start the migration tonight, if the site behaves strangely – that’s why.
Update 3: If you see this message, migration is complete and you are looking at the new site!
Update 4: Some suspicious activity on the blog forced me to upgrade WordPress today (and do a bunch of other cleanup), so the site has been up and down today. It should be mostly working now, but I’ll probably be tweaking things off and on for the next few days.
Update 5: Yes, the oscilloscope is upside down. It’s that way on purpose. Really.